Planning a Winter Solstice Ceremony
As we step into the winter season, we are encouraged to slow down, reflect, and to re-charge. This is the time of the year for Reflection and Recreation. The Winter Solstice is symbolic of the death and rebirth of the sun. The significance is that there is a gradual lengthening of night and shortening of day. This is the shortest day of the year.
The end of the year is about Completion in the month of December. This is a great time to think about what you want to release before moving into the new year.
As we approach the first day of winter, on December 21st this year, we reach a turning point. The Winter Solstice is honored and recognized by many cultures all over the world as a changing of the seasons.
To honor this seasonal moment of time, we recommend planning a Winter Solstice Ceremony. If you've never had this experience before, or typically join a group ceremony this time of year, here are some ideas that we've created that you can use when planning your own ceremony.
It is important that all electronics and lights are off as much as possible during your ceremony. Bring in lots of candles for your ceremony and space. Disconnect from all distractions and give yourself the time and space needed to be fully present. This is a special time for you to connect with the universal energies of the cycles that support us along our spiritual journey.
A well-rounded ceremony honors all four elements. As you plan your Winter Solstice Ceremony, here are some considerations for you:
STEP #1: FIRE ENERGY
This is a time for self-reflection. Connect to spirit and your higher self. Allow yourself time to reflect on the year and the beautiful gifts you have received since the last winter solstice.
- Spend some time at your altar. If you have a dragon statue or sacred object, set them on your altar for your ceremony.
- Light a black taper candle to release any energies or things that no longer serve you before moving into the new year. Fill your room with white and black candles.
- Bring some of your favorite crystals into your ceremony. Invite them to connect with the energies of your ceremony and to hold these energies for you through winter.
- Gather some dried herbs for your ceremony. Place the herbs in a beautiful container on your altar. Touch and connect with the energies. Bless them with your intentions and love.
- Write down the items that you would like to release and dissolve before the new year. These can be bad habits, behaviors, relationships, etc. Also consider all the things that you would like to complete and finish before the new year. This is the perfect time to work on these in front of your altar.
- Conduct a Fire Release Ceremony. You will want to make sure that you create a safe burning ceremony. Bay Leaves are great to use during a burning ceremony.
STEP #2: AIR ENERGY
This portion of the ceremony is focused on resetting our focus toward moving forward into the new year with love and Light. It is time to set your focus through your words, thoughts, and actions.
- Bring in some music, chants, or sounds to support your ceremony. These may include singing bowls, Tibetan bowls, drums, rattles, etc.
- Do your Rituals at the altar to set your mindset for your ceremony. Choose the rituals that you believe will best support you in your ceremony.
- Shifting the energies can be done with sacred incenses, essential oils, and/or rose water. Incorporate some of your favorite elements into your ceremony.
- Read an Intention Prayer OR Create a list of I AM affirmations for your Winter season. What energies would you like to bring into your life next year? This is the perfect time to create and focus on these energies.
STEP #3: WATER ENERGY
Being in the flow and surrendering to your divine purpose is not always easy. It requires that we are able to forgive and to love ourselves.
- Set a place or create an opportunity for healing, releasing, and surrendering with water. Use fresh flowers for your ceremony.
- You can set a special altar in your bathroom for a Sacred Bath OR you can create a blessing ritual with holy water. You may also create Sacred Sea Salt Moon Water for your ceremony.
- How to Create Sea Salt Moon Water
Mason Jar OR Beautiful Glass Jar
Add Sea Salt
Add Sea Shells
Bless your water with your intentions
Charge with the Moon
- How to Create Sea Salt Moon Water
- This is the perfect time to consider nurturing and loving yourself. What are you willing to commit to for self-care during the winter season? Write a commitment letter to yourself and list what you plan to do for yourself through the end of winter.
STEP #4: EARTH ENERGY
Now, it is time to ground your ceremony into your life. We must be in our physical bodies and grounded in order to experience the beauty of our lives.
- Create your favorite herbal tea. Spend time in stillness with your tea. What messages does the divine have for you? Take time in stillness to connect with the energies around you during the ceremony.
- Go outside and give your dried herbs as an offering to your fairies and Gaia.
- Find special places for your Winter Solstice Crystals. Place your crystals in these sacred places to remind you of the ceremony that you created for Winter Solstice.
What does this time of year mean for you? Feel free to create your own owning and closing for the ceremony - as best befits you and your spiritual practice.
Written by Tiffany Patterson, TMP. Angelic Healing, LLC
Tiffany has been on her healing path since the year 2010. She has been called a strong healer and intuitive, who is continually working on growing her skills, and expanding her healing practice and teachings. Tiffany’s gifts, combined with her compassion and nurturing energy, are the perfect combination of support and guidance.
Written by Vialet Rayne, Magical Creator of Discover Your Spiritual Gifts
Vialet has been on a healing path her whole life. She has been called a spiritual guardian that is strongly connected and highly intuitive. A teacher, coach, healer, and spiritual leader that dreams of a peaceful and harmonious world.
Her mission is to provide individuals with the tools and resources to discover their own healing powers within themselves so they may empower their own lives. Vialet's spiritual journey has provided her with everyday life rituals, experiences, and spiritual wisdom that allow her to overcome difficult situations and to create a life that she has always dreamed of.
Vialet wants everyone to discover their spiritual gifts in the tools and rituals that will improve their lives and the lives of their families. Find out more about her here.